Skip to main content

Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE (1054045)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1261, 16, 68
Date assigned Monday, July 5, 1965
Date last amended


'SK 4771 TOWN OF OLD BOLSOVER HIGH STREET 16/68 (North side) 5.7.65 Church of St Mary & St Lawrence (formerly listed as Church of St Mary) II* Parish church. C13, C14, 1624, 1897 by L.Ambler, restored after a fire 1961-2. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roofs. Moulded coped gables with plain kneelers and moulded coped parapets. Moulded plinth. West steeple, aisled nave with south chapel, chancel and north vestry. West tower of two stages divided by a string course. Square staircase projection to south west. Double chamfered west doorway with one order of colonettes. Single chamfered lancet above. The lower stage of the tower is blind to north and south. Two-light bell-openings of a pair of plain lancets under a single hoodmould. Stone broach spire with two tiers of lucarnes, each a single louvred lancet, the upper ones gabletted. Gabled north aisle has a C19 3-light west window with cusped intersecting tracery and hoodmould on headstops. Gabled north porch with gabletted buttresses and moulded doorway with hoodmould. Rectangular windows with cusped ogee lights on either side. North aisle of three bays divided by buttresses with two set-offs. Three 3-light C19 windows have cusped tracery with an encircled trefoil, each with hoodmould. To the left a slightly projecting gabled transeptal bay with similar 3-light window. Hoodmould with headstops. To the left again is the vestry, built in 1961-2 by Taylor, Young & Partners. Octagonal two-storey block like a chapter house. Mullioned windows and cross windows. The north side of the chancel has a two-light C19 window with cusping and trefoils. Five-light east window with Geometrical tracery. The south side of the chancel has a single buttress flanked by 2-light windows with cusping and trefoils as on the north side. Between them is a flat- arched doorway with a round-arched tympanum above which has a moulded arch and a sculptured Crucifixion. To the left is a restored round-arched lancet. Rectangular, projecting Cavendish chapel built in 1624. Castellated parapet and string course above the second tier of windows. The ground floor has a 3-light mullioned and transomed window with returned hoodmould. A single light and a 3- light recessed and chamfered mullion window above. Blind elevation to south with parapet inscribed CAVENDO VTVS. Square sundial below. Gabled south aisle of three bays divided by buttresses with two set-offs. Three 3-light windows with C19 Geometrical tracery. Hoodmould with foliage stops. Large 3-light west window with cusped intersecting tracery. Interior. Four bay arcades, the fourth bay on the south side blocked when the Cavendish chapel was added. Octagonal piers, moulded octagonal capitals and moulded arches. Moulded chancel arch with filletted responds and capitals with naturalistic foliage continued as a band. Double-chamfered arches on semi-octagonal responds between north transept, chancel and north aisle. Keyed round arch from the south aisle into the Cavendish chapel. The chapel has a Jacobean style roof, and houses two large monuments. Standing wall monument against the south wall, to Charles Cavendish t 1617. Pair of recumbent effigies and kneeling children in the 'predella'. Coffered arch and rich strapwork cartouche. Marble monument of reredos type, to Henry Cavendish, Duke of Newcastle, his wife and one of his daughters. Erected in 1727. Big black sarcophagus between large coupled Corinthian columns supporting a pediment, on which lie two allegorical figures. It was designed by Gibbs and sculpted by Francis Bird. On the east wall is a stone C19 monument in Perp style, with three canopies and inset brass inscription panels to three members of the Cavendish Bentinck family t 1858, t 1877 and t 1893. At the east end of the south aisle is an inscribed tomb slab to Huntingdon Smithson t1648 and John Smithson t1716. The painted roofs are all of the'l96Os, the nave with 4-light mullioned clerestory windows. The north transept baptistry has a richly decorated C19 octagonal font with painted cover. Sculpture set on a modern base; a late C13 relief of the Nativity. Grave cover with axe, shears, sickle and ring. Painted stone reredos. Some re-used C19 furnishings, including a brass eagle lectern. In the blocked south aisle bay are six re-set corbels. In the north porch are remains of two foliated grave covers. Listing NGR: SK4744270306.'

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  • Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 47442 70306 (point)
Map sheet SK47SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Feb 24 2023 8:31PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.