Skip to main content

Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (1109001)

Please read our .

Grade I
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1261, 7, 19
Date assigned Friday, July 8, 1966
Date last amended

Description

Parish church. C11, C14, C15; Restored 1885-8 by William Butterfield. Coursed rubble sandstone with sandstone dressings and quoins. Welsh slate roof with stone coped gables. Chamfered plinth and moulded embattled parpapets. Nave and aisles, south porch, crossing tower, chancel with south chapel and north vestry. The lean-to south aisle has an embattled parapet with one crocketted finial. Four bays divided by buttresses with three set-offs. Flat-arched west window of four round-arched lights. Deep gabled porch has battlemented parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Diagonal buttresses. Moulded four-centred arched entrance. To the right are three flat- arched windows of four round-arched lights. Plainly chamfered four-centred arched priests doorway. The chancel chapel continues similar but lower, and has one similar window. Angle buttresses with a crocketted pinnacle. Similar window to the gabled east elevation. The main east window is of 3-lights with bar tracery. C19 lean-to north vestry with plain mullioned windows. The tower has flat-arched 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion bell-openings in each direction. To the north is an external flight of stone steps, ascending to a doorway with segmental pointed arch and rectangular window above. Lean-to north aisle has a small rectangular window and two pairs of trefoiled lancets dating from the C19 restoration. Norman lancet to the west, its round-arched head with zigzag decoration. Clerestory has two small 2- light recessed and chamfered mullion windows. Blocked C11 west doorway has an incised lintel with a scene of George and the dragon. The tympanum above is incised with a centaur (which may be St Margaret emerging from the body of the devil) on the left, and the lamb and cross on the right. The interior of the porch has a pointed tunnel vault on four chamfered ribs, and stone seats. Plain four-centred arched doorway and pair of C19 doors. Interior: Two-bay C11 north arcade of plain unmoulded round-arches and with chamfered impost bands. South arcade of two plus one bays. The two bays have double-chamfered arches on a central octagonal pier with bell capital, the responds on corbels. Further arch to the east is similar and with moulded corbels on semi-octagonal responds. Depressed round-arched east tower arch with re-assembled chevron and beakhead. Double-chamfered arch to the south east chapel, its outer order dying into the imposts, the inner order on corbels. Low doorway-like chancel arch, plain and round-arched. Double-chamfered arch from the tower space to the chapel, the inner order on corbels. Chancel decoration by Butterfield. Tiled sanctuary, altar rails with bold cusped circular motifs. Stone reredos, tripartite, with coloured marbles and Hoptonwood stone centre panel. Pillar piscina on a circular colonette. Monument in the chapel to Anne Keighley, wife of the first Earl of Devonshire, dated 1627. Below the window. Big base with inscription and exquisite foliage decoration. Cornice and a top like a hipped roof. On corbels rising from below the cornice, five free-standing allegorical figures. On the floor infront of the monument is a black slab inscribed to Thomas Hobbes, the philosopher, a protege of the Cavendishes, who died at Hardwick in 1679. Aumbry recess. Medieval stained glass dated 1527 in the chapel east window, depicting the Crucifixion. Plain robust pews, pulpit, choir stalls, readers desk etc, probably by Butterfield. Screen between the south aisle and chapel, of intersecting round arches. Wooden eagle lectern. C14 nave roof, with big tie-beams and coarse trefoil tracery above. Sandstone and Hoptonwood stone font, given in 1887 and by Butterfield, with inlaid circular motifs. Next to it is a plain circular font bowl. At the west end of the nave are two benefaction boards. In the south aisle is a Dainted coat of arms and charity board. Two C18 monuments in the north aisle, one a cartouche with date of death 1703. In the aisle several C19 stained glass windows, and one in the north aisle of 1933 by HHB of Nottingham.

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 4674 6523 (point)
Map sheet SK46NE
Civil Parish AULT HUCKNALL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Sep 17 2022 1:00PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.