Listed Building: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (1366579)

Please read our .

Grade I
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1261, 2, 174
Date assigned Thursday, August 26, 1965
Date last amended

Description

Parish church. C12, C13, restoration 1876-80 by J.L. Pearson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. Nave with south porch, chancel and semi-circular apse. 52 feet long by 15 feet wide. Essentially a mid-C12 building with minor alterations. Moulded plinth. Corbel table with carved figures. The apse has a band of scrolly ornament linking the sills. Gabled bellcote at the east end of the nave, with a single round arch. Shallow south porch, the gable breaking above the eaves line. The porch was heavily restored by Pearson in 1880, when the church was roofless and overgrown. The portal has four orders of colonettes with much weathered carving of medallions and foliage scrolls. The arches decorated with zigzag and simplified beakhead. The latticework gable dates from 1880. Row of corbels across the gable. The south side of the nave has one tiny round-arched window. The south side of the chancel has a 3-light Dec window with geometrical tracery. The apse has three round-arched windows with nook shafts, cushion capitals and roll-moulded arches. The bays divided by pilaster buttresses. The north side of the chancel is blind and the north side of the nave has a blocked round-arched doorway and a broad round-arched window set high up. At the west end of the nave are two narrow round-arched windows set one above the other. Interior: Elaborately ornamented arches between nave and chancel and chancel and apse. Tunnel vault over the chancel and a rib vault over the apse. Transverse arch with three roll mouldings and two ridges. Two ribs to the apse vault of the same profile. The apse vault is supported on half-columns with carved capitals. Aumbry recess on the north side of the chancel. The font has a tapering square bowl on a square base with colonettes. Grave slab (north west corner of the nave) Anglo-Norman, with a representation of a chalice and paten resting on an altar and a blessing hand. Listing NGR: SK5435678726

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 54356 78726 (point)
Map sheet SK57NW
Civil Parish WHITWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jun 28 2007 8:57AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.