Early C19. Two blocks of Regency villa style cottages arranged as clusters of four houses built by the Evans family by 1826. Brick built with hipped slate roofs both blocks have stuccoed street facades and doors set in blank recessed arches. The garden elevations to Nos 3 and 4 retain their planked doors and at upper floor timber windows ten paned pivoted over ten pane fixed and at ground floor fifteen over fifteen pane sash and case. From all sides both blocks have the appearance of a pavilion and the elegance of their design with their stuccoed facades is accounted for by their being in direct line of view from the Evans family's own house -the former Darley House (demolished). These are an interesting variant of the cluster house arrangement pioneered at Darley Abbey and Belper.
The C18 and C19 houses and schoolrooms in Darley Abbey built or acquired by various generations of the Evans family for their workers are of interest as a group to be compared with the Arkwright settlement at Cromford and the Strutt settlements at Belper and Milford.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.