Formerly the Collegiate Church but raised to Cathedral status when diocese of Derby created 1927. Fine, tall, late Perpendicular stone west tower remains from the original early C16 church but the body of the present building of circa 1725 is a good classical design by James Gibbs. 5 semi-circular headed windows at each side with characteristic Gibbs rustication and with coupled pilasters between balustraded parapet. Fine spacious interior comprising broad nave aisles, chancel chapels, gallery and organ loft at west end; east end extended 1972 by addition of retro-choir designed by Sebastian Comper which contain a classical style baldachino. Splendid wrought iron screens, partly renewed and restored, across nave and aisles, the work of William Bakewell. Modern stained glass in chancel chapel windows by Ceri Richards. Many good monumnts: in south chancel chapel (also known as the Cavendish Chapel) to Elizabeth Countess of Shrewsbury ('Bess of Hardwick') (1607); to Caroline Countess of Bessborough (1760) by Rysbrack and of her husband, the 2nd Earl (1793) by Nollekens. In the north aisle: Thomas Chambers (1726) and wife (1735) by Roubiliac; Richard Bateman (1822) by Chantrey; Mary Elizabeth Chichester (1830) by Sir Richard Westmacott.
Nos 9 to 11 (consec), Nos 15 to 17 (consec) and the Cathedral Church of All Saints form a group with No 2 Amen Alley, No 1 Queen Street together with Nos 1 and 3 College Place and two posts at west end of College Place.