Listed Building: ENGINE HOUSE, GREAT NORTHERN ROAD (1230486)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 893, 4, 2
Date assigned Friday, September 5, 1986
Date last amended

Description

GEngine House built for the Great Northern Railway at their Friargate Station. 1877-8 by Kirk & Randall of Sleaford. Italianate style. Red and blue brick, Welsh slate roofs. Decorative corbelled eaves band. Double chamfered plinth. Single storey with a two storey tower at the south west corner. South elevation of six bays arranged symmetrically 3 Plus 3. Six segment headed windows with metal casements. Set between them is a C20 rock-faced fireplace. Raised louvred lantern to roof. Square tower to left with deeply overhanging hipped roof on brackets. Three round-arched louvred lights to first floor on three sides. North elevation has six windows as to south, though one has been made into a doorway. In the centre a large round-arched double doorway with blocked tympanum. East gable end has a pedimented gable with circular louvred opening. The engine house was built to provide power for the hydraulic cranes and hoists in the adjoining warehouse.

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 3459 3612 (point)
Map sheet SK33NW
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Sep 17 2022 1:22PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.