A fine house of circa 1770. Architect Joseph Pickford. Red brick with stone dressings; 3 storeys; 5 sash windows in moulded stone surrounds. Centre recessed under round-headed stone arch over all 3 storeys. On each side the building breaks forward with one window, the 3 1st storey windows having panels of balusters below, while the centre has also a frieze and cornice. Windows on either side of central arch have ornamental bands below sills. Modillion cornice and open pediment surmounted by 3 large ball-heads. Slates. Fine central doorcase with side lights and having Roman Doric engaged columns and plain pilasters; frieze with "dam" type ornament, modillion pediment, traceried fanlight and 6-panelled door. 5 stone steps up. Interior: Good entrance hall with Adam style plaster plaques and decoration and and good Hopton Wood stone staircase with simple hardwood handrail. Rear ground storey room has a restored Adam style marble fireplace.
NosNos 27 to 32 (consec), Friar Gate Railway Bridge, Nos 35 to 39 (consec), Nos 41 to 51 (consec) form a group with No 47 Ford Street.c
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.