1797 - 1800. 3 storey, brick built, slate roofed terraced range of mill workers houses formerly incorporating two school-rooms at second floor level, built by the Evans family. No16 stuccoed with stone base. Altered 1820s when adjacent school was built and subsequently, now comprises 14 three storey houses. Segmental brick-arched lintels to openings generally except at former second floor school-rooms and at No 16. Most of the windows and doors in the Row have been altered, but a few early cast-iron casements set into larger wooden-paned frames have survived for example at No 11 front and rear. The former school-rooms have king-post roof trusses to create a clear space but are now subdivided with brick party walls. Largely intact rows of privies across passage to the rear. The Row was built, in two phases, by the Evans family for its workers. The first phase of five houses and a school-room was built in 1797-8 and the second of eight houses and a school-room in 1798-1800. The extent of school-rooms on the second floor can be identified by differences in fenestration above houses that are now numbered 6 to 12 Brick Row, and they were served by a former dedicated entrance in the centre of the terraces ground floor. No 16, the house at the northern end of the Row, functioned as the lodge for Darley House whose main drive was opposite and its entrance door was repositioned from the main terrace frontage to the side when the single storey end bay was added and the elevations stuccoed c. 1820s.
The Row is of considerable historic interest as an early example of the provision of custom-built educational facilities by a mill-owner for his workforce. The Evans family had earlier provided a school-room in the attic of Long Mill.
The C18 and C19 houses and schoolrooms in Darley Abbey built by various generations of the Evans family for their workers are of interest as a group to be compared with the Arkwright settlement at Cromford and the Strutt settlements at Belper and Milford.