Tenement lace factory, now light industrial works. Erected between 1888 and 1907, with partial rebuilding after a fire in 1902. Built by E Terah Hooley, a wealthy local industrialist, and finished by Ernest Jardine. Red brick with blue and yellow brick and stone dressings. Slate roofs with numerous stone coped gables on moulded kneelers, plus moulded brick cornice. Four storeys and 57 bays. Main elevation of Derby Road has polished granite plinth, rock faced stone ground floor, red brick with blue brick and stone bands to upper floors and a moulded and dentilled stone cornice. Five bay facade with advanced central bay topped by square tower. Ground floor has a large semi-circular headed doorcase with raised keystone and a pulvinated frieze and open swan-necked pediment over. Double panelled doors with fanlight, below. To either side there are pairs of semi-circular headed windows with rock faced stone voussoirs, and flush stone bands at sill level. Above there are pairs of iron casement windows under carved lintels with lozenge design, to either side of round central window with large keyblocks. Above again, five similar iron windows under carved lintels with zig-zag design, and five more iron windows under moulded lintels above. Central tower above has a deep base inscribed '1906. JARDINE', with clockfaces to each side over, flanked by nookshafts to each corner supporting a bracketed cornice which curves up over the clockfaces. Ogival fish-scale tiled copper roof to top of tower with vented frieze below. East elevation has 57 segment headed iron casement windows below yellow brick heads to ground, first and second floors, each with stepped pilaster buttress to sides. Top floor has 57 similar flat headed iron windows below moulded stone lintels. West elevation is similar except for the addition of four full height bow fronted staircase turrets with loading doors to all floors to sides and small segment headed stair windows to front. Interior has wooden floors supported on iron columns. Steam engine with rope drive to all floors removed c1958. Chimney and outside lavatories also demolished. Reputedly the largest lace factory in the world.
Listing NGR: SK4381034222