Skip to main content

Listed Building: DRAYCOTT MILLS FRONT RANGE (1334835)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1194, 3, 8
Date assigned Friday, May 2, 1986
Date last amended

Description

In the entry for: DRAYCOTT & CHURCH WILNE MARKET STREET SK 43 SW (west side) 3/8 Market Street Factory II The entry shall be amended to read: SK 43 SW DRAYCOTT & CHURCH WILNE MARKET STREET 1194-/3/8 Draycott Mills front range 2.5.86 II Cotton and lace factory and attached engine house. Now in multiple occupation. 1840-1850, with rear wing dated 1860. Red brick, with ashlar and blue brick dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs. Plinth, eaves cornice and coped parapet. Windows are round headed cast iron casements with glazing bars, set in'recessed panels. Ground floor windows have rubbed brick heads, those above ashlar heads with linked lintel band. 2 storeys, 15 bays. Projecting centre, 3 bays, with angle pilasters and shallow pediment containing a roundel. Moulded round arched doorcase, painted ashlar, with panelled double doors and traceried cast iron fanlight. Over the door, a wrought iron bracket lamp. On either side, 6 windows on each floor, plus an additional ground floor window to left of centre. Outside, an attached plinth, formerly with a railing. Right return has 2 full height recessed panels, with a door to left. Left return, incorporating the engine house, has 4 windows, with altered openings to the ground floor. Rear elevation has similar fenestration, with a central segment arched cart opening with rusticated surround. To right, engine house with door to beam floor to left, and tall blocked opening above a window to right. Central rear wing, dated 1860 on rainwater head, 2 storeys, 4 bays, in the same style as the front range. Adjoining the front range, a through passage with elliptical arched rusticated openings and cast iron guard stones. Under the arch, cast iron cross beams framing a hoist trap. On the south side, to left, a porch, 2 storeys, shouldered on each floor and topped with a stack. Segment arched double doors, and above, a lunette. North side has blocked doors and windows in the right bay, and a bearing box, from which drive was transmitted to an adjoining building. Interior: front range has a central row of octagonal cast iron columns to the ground floor. Panelled cast iron cross beams carrying a boarded wooden floor. Some columns replaced by RSJs. Roof structure not accessible, but reported to be wrought iron trusses. Rear wing has similar cast iron columns, cross beams and floors. Roof structure concealed, but wooden tie beams with iron tension braces are visible. This building was probably used for the manufacture of lace from cotton yarn produced on the site. It forms the architecturally distinguished facade to an integrated site for the manufacture of cotton yarn and lace. PARISH OF DRAYCOTT AND CHURCH WILNE MARKET STREET SK 43 SW 3/8 (West Side) Market Street Factory II Cotton factory. 1842 with minor alterations. Red brick with gauged brick and stone dressings, also brick and stone plinth. Hipped graduated slate roof, hidden behind wide, coved eaves cornice with blocking course above. Two storeys and 15 bays, with three central bays advanced. Each bay has a two storey blind semi-circular headed niche with moulded stone head and continuous moulded stone impost band. To centre is a moulded semi-circular painted doorcase with raised and fielded double doors below a traceried iron fanlight. Over the door is a curved iron bracket, formerly supporting a lantern. To either side there are small pane iron windows with small opening casements below semi-circular gauged brick heads. Six similar windows to either side, plus a similar inserted window immediately south of the central three bays. Above, fifteen similar windows at the top of the niches. Above the three central bays is a shallow gable with a circular stone plaque with shield on. Rear of the building has rusticated segmental arches through the rear wings. Interior has wooden floors supported on iron columns. Listing NGR: SK4426433184

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 4426 3318 (point)
Map sheet SK43SW
Civil Parish DRAYCOTT AND CHURCH WILNE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Record last edited

Jan 26 2024 3:24PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.