Skip to main content

Listed Building: ST JOHN THE BAPTIST CHURCH (1109105)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1038, 5, 55
Date assigned Monday, January 20, 1986
Date last amended


'PARISH OF SMALLEY MAIN ROAD SK 44 SW 5/55 (West Side) CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST Church II Parish church. 1793, aisles added 1844, porch added c1850, chancel rebuilt 1863 and tower added 1912. Sandstone ashlar, with random coursing to the tower, and sandstone dressings, also with continuous moulded sill stringcourse and plinth with moulded copings to chancel. Slate roofs with stone coped gables, except belled pyramidal tower roof of plain tiles. Nave with north and south aisles, lower chancel with side bay to west, south porch and tower to north-west corner of the nave. West elevation of nave has a blocked, central, semi- circular headed doorcase with single light semi-circular headed window above. To either side, the aisles have single light windows with ogee headed lights, pierced spandrels and hoodmoulds with carved head labelstops. Attached to north of north aisle is the tower which has wide corner pilaster strips and a louvred timber framed bell chamber below the eaves. West elevation of the tower has a segmental arched doorcase with a pointed inner arch and double doors. To south is a foundation stone inscribed 'To the Glory of God. This stone was laid May 25 1912'. North and south facades have pairs of trefoil headed lancets under single relieving arches. North nave aisle has three 3-light flat headed windows with ogee headed lights, pierced spandrels and hoodmoulds with carved head labelstops, also low buttresses between the windows and a diagonal buttress to east end. Eastern end of the aisle has a similar 2-light window to those facing north and beyond to east the chancel has a moulded lancet with hoodmould. East window is a stepped triple lancet in moulded surround, with outer mouldings on thin attached shafts, also with continuous hoodmould,and gableted angle buttresses to either side. South side of chancel has a Y- traceried window with hoodmould and south aisle has a 2-light east window similar to that on the north aisle. South elevation has two 3-light windows similar to those on north aisle and beyond to west is a neo-Norman porch, which has a cable and zig zag moulded semi- circular headed doorcase with scalloped capitals and grotesque label- stops to hood. Each side of the porch has a roll moulded semi-circular headed window with scalloped capitals. To either end of aisle there are diagonal buttresses, there are also low buttresses between the windows. Interior has three bay north and south arcades of wide, double chamfered pointed arches on columns with moulded bases and capitals. Similar style chancel arch, except soffit moulding rests on polished marble corbels with stiff leaf capitals. Roofs all C19. Pews, choir stalls, reredos, octagonal stone pulpit and screen to eastern part of north aisle all c1863 with cusped panelling. C15 style stone font to west end of nave, on octagonal stem, also of c1863. Chancel has an enamelled brass plaque inscribed 'This church was erected to the honour and glory of God by Mary Brittle Radford, wife of John Radford Esq of Smalley AD 1863'. Also in the chancel are several wall memorials, including two slate and white marble ones to the Radford family of c1822 and 1834. Similar style memorial of c1768 to the Richardson family in the chancel and another in the south aisle of 1813 with urn to top. Other memorials mostly in enamelled brass and late C19. Vivid c1863 stained glass to all chancel windows and a Pre-Raphaelite style east window to south aisle of c1882. West windows also have stained glass, central one with glass of c1896 and flanking ones, dated 1974. North aisle east window has glass of c1951. To west end of nave is a carved oak war memorial. Listing NGR: SK4064144135 This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.'

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  • Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 40641 44135 (point)
Map sheet SK44SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Feb 8 2024 2:48PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.