House. Mid C17, with remodelling in 1719, and additions in C19. Coursed coal measures sandstone with quoins, coped gables with moulded kneelers, ashlar gable and ridge stacks and a stone slated roof. Asymmetrical plan, with three bay central range, two contemporary gabled wings to rear, with C19 infill between them and additions to the end of the western rear ring. South elevation; three storeys, four bays, a former three gabled front now remodelled to form a parapet linking the outer gables. Stacked chamfer mullioned windows to outer gables and above central doorway beneath continuous stringcourses with label stops, now with many mullions removed, and with C20 casements. Ground floor openings formerly 5-lights, first and second openings 4-lights, the stringcourse to the second floor stepped up above the window heads. Outer gables with C17 single light openings to gable apex below a dripmould. Added parapet with shallow pilasters adjoining the gables, and with open central part which has turned balusters and moulded copings. Between the centre bay and the easter end gable, at ground and first floor level, single light C17 windows. Off-centre doorway with quoined surround, substantial lintel and semi-circular pediment. East and west gables and gable to east rear range with 2 and 3-light chamfer mullioned windows beneath dripmoulds. Addition to west rear range with 2-light flush mullioned windows. Interior. Full height splat baluster stair, some moulded plasterwork to principal ground floor rooms. Two rooms have C18 panelling, and some C17 panelled doors. Attached boundary walls of coursed rubble sandstone and plain stone copings steps downwards as land falls away to south, incorporating tall ashlar gatepiers, square in plan with moulded cornice and ball finials. The house was described in sale papers in 1725 as 'newly erected'.
Listing NGR: SK3556678450