Listed Building: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (1291953)

Please read our .

Grade I
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1264, 11, 24
Date assigned Tuesday, January 31, 1967
Date last amended

Description

Church. Early and late C15, with late C13 and mid C14 remains. Squared sandstone with shallow-pitched lead roofs and with embattled parapets to all except for the north aisle roof. Comprises a west tower with a stone spire set back behind embattled parapets, a nave with clerestorey, north and south aisles, a south porch, and a north vestry and organ chamber. The tower is of 3 stages with angle buttresses and has bell openings of 2 cinquefoiled lights with dagger tracery below flat heads. The lower stages are blank on the north side and have a window of one ogee light facing west. The south wall includes a slit window, a clock face, and a round-arched doorway under a straight cornice. Below the parapet are stone gargoyles. The clerestorey has 3-light mullioned windows with flat heads and with slightly pointed heads to the lights. The north aisle has similar windows, with lights which are either segmental or slightly pointed. 3 windows face north and one faces west. The north wall contains a doorway with moulded trefoiled ogee head and has a projecting boiler house with chimney. Set back to the east its the one-bay organ chamber which has a C19 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. Adjoining to the east is the vestry, which has a pointed doorway with a one-light window to its left and a 2-light window to its right. The south aisle is of 3 bays to the east of the porch and has mullioned windows of 3 lights with round heads under straight lintels. The porch has an outer arch which is pointed and chamfered in 2 orders. The coped gable is of shallow pitch and has a Cl8 stone sundial of square plan at the apex. The inner doorway appears to have been rebuilt and is of late C13 type, with a pointed arch moulded in 3 orders and with angle shafts. The east window of the south aisle is of 3 lights with renewed Perpendicular tracery under a Tudor-arched head. The east window of the chancel is of similar type. The 3 windows in the south wall of the chancel are each of 3 lights under flat lintels. The door to the right of the left-hand window has a chamfered ogee arch with a carved head in the centre of its hood mould. INTERIOR: The internal walls are of exposed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. The tower arch is pointed and wave moulded in 2 orders. The northern nave arcade has 4 bays of steeply pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders springing from octagonal piers with moulded caps. A 5th, eastern, bay has a lower arch. The south arcade is of 4 bays with taller pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders and with slim octagonal piers. The chancel archway is partly a C19 reconstruction and is pointed and chamfered in 2 orders. The outline of an earlier roof, below the level of the present clerestorey, can be seen in the wall above, and also above the tower arch. To the south of the arch a squint opens into the chancel. To the north a doorway and steps in the east wall of the north aisle formerly led to a rood loft. The boarded roof over the nave was renewed in 1968 and is of a shallow pitch with exposed tie beams, rafters and purlins. The south aisle roof also appears to be a C20 renewal, but the north aisle roof may be C16 and has chamfered rafters and a moulded ridge and principals. The north wall of the chancel contains 2 chamfered recesses with ogee arches. Set within each is a moulded bracket. Between them is a vestry doorway with moulded Tudor arch and ribbed plank door. The organ is set within a pointed archway. The boarded roof has 3 shallow iron-strapped king-post trusses. The lead font dates from c1200. It is set on a moulded octagonal base and is ornamented with 20 figures of men clad in flowing drapery and set within semicircular arches. Above the tower arch are boards painted with the Lord's Prayer, Creed, and Ten commandments. The chancel screen was moved from the north aisle to its present position in the 1860s. It dates from 1511 and is of oak with Perpendicular tracery and a central Tudor archway. The pulpit is of C17 oak panelling. The south aisle contains an alabaster tomb chest with effegies of Thomas Babington (d. 1518) and his wife. The sides of the chest are decorated with crocketed ogee archways containing figures of saints, angels, and mourners. At the east end of the chancel are 2 early C16 brasses. Wall monuments include one to Francis Parkes (d. 1713) to the east of the south doorway, which has a cartouche, carved cherubs, and a cameo bust of a man. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass windows include one in memory of John Lee (d. 1915) with figures of 3 saints. Listing NGR: SK3486863124

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 34868 63124 (point)
Map sheet SK36SW
Civil Parish ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 1 2017 4:18PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.