SK 12 60 PARISH OF HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER HIDE LANE 12/123 (East Side) 10.8.1951 Church of St Giles GV II*
Church. Late C13, C14, C15, restored 1858 by H Currey. Coursed squared red sandstone, limestone, gritstone and sandstone rubble. Gritstone and sandstone dressings and quoins. Leaded roofs. Stone coped gables, C15 and C19 embattled parapets with ridgeback copings. Various C15 and C19 crocketted finials. Embattled three stage Perp western tower, cruciform plan with additional south porch linked to western aisle of south transepts. Western tower has shallow plinth. Two four-stepped setback buttresses to each face, rising almost to parapet level. Deeply recessed, pointed, western door with moulded architrave. Dripmould over. Above, C19 pointed 2-light window with cusped tracery. Stringcourse to first stage continues over window as dripmould. Second stage has slit windows to all sides. Clock faces over to west and south. Twin cusped Y-tracery bell openings in third stage to all sides. Moulded stringcourse above with two gargoyles to each face. Embattled parapets with crocketted corner finials. North elevation - two bay nave aisle with C14 reticulated tracery window to west. Wide, blocked, four-centred arched door and 3-light cusped window with flat head to north. Lead gutter between these with rounded hopper head decorated with flower motifs. Low parapet over with original crocketted finial to western corner. Behind, clerestory in large sandstone blocks. Two twin-light C19 windows. C15 embattled parapet over. North transept has lancet window to west and to north triple stepped lancet. Corner buttresses to either side. Two Y-tracery windows and two stepped buttresses to east wall. North chancel wall has two lancets and three stepped buttresses. C19 intersecting tracery east window. Diagonal gabletted buttress either side. South elevation - C15 triple light cusped window with flat head, narrow C19 door, tall buttress, and original reticulated tracery window to chancel. Whole chancel has C19 embattled parapets with crocketted finials. South transept C19 cusped intersecting tracery window to east. Large 5-light window to south with combination of intersecting and reticulated tracery. Buttresses to either side of window. To west, small reticulated tracery window to western aisle, C19 window then C15 porch. Stepped diagonal buttresses to parapet level. Two stepped plinths. Central,double chamfered,pointed door. Cusped aedicule above. Sundial to west side, small lancet window to east. Parapet above slopes up to west aisle of south transept. Large gargoyle to east. West porch wall has twin cusped lancet window to south, similar window over. To north, similar western aisle window to that on north. Also two large C19 hopper heads and gutters, both with large gargoyles, that to the south original. South clerestory windows similar to those on north. Interior - tall, pointed, continuous double chamfered arch to western tower. Early C14, three bay north and south arcade to nave Octagonal columns to west, with keeled quatrefoil pier to east, either side. Double chamfered pointed arches. Wide 1858 chancel arch. Two bay arcade to western aisle of south transept, octagonal piers and pointed chamfered arches. Roofs all C19, except south transept. C16 timbers with carved central bosses. In chancel, C19 altar screen with cusped marble panels. Piscinas to south side of altar, trefoil one in north transept and small pointed one to south transept . C14 arched tomb niche to south wall of south transept. Also to south transept, 12 painted biblical plaques, probably C18, and grey and white marble wall memorial with painted coat of arms,of 1731 to Bateman family. Similar grand memorial to Anna Edensop of 1762 in north nave aisle. C14 octagonal font with cusped tracery panels. Also, remains of early wall paintings to south nave arcade wall. Fragments of medieval glass to two clerestory windows and south transept window. East window by Wilmshurst 1857-8.
Listing NGR: SK1296160478