Flour mill. Built in 1874, bridging a broad mill race. Rock faced and plain sandstone. Welsh slate roof. A rectangular block of seven bays on the long side. Three storeys. The east elevation has various brick and timber lean-to additions not of special interest. Otherwise windows with iron frame fixed pane glazing, stone lintels and sills. Twin semi-circular arches over the mill race. The centre part of the east elevation is raised with a 'clerestory', which houses the exhaust system. The gable end to north has a projecting enclosed hoist and large lean-to timber and corrugated iron canopy forming the loading shed. The west side has regular spacing of iron framed windows under stone lintels, except one enlarged window under an RSJ. To the south west a lean-to corrugated iron and timber structure not of special interest. The south gable end has a lower gabled bay with a single window to each floor. The internal construction is largely of timber, but with cast iron columns to the ground floor to support the original millstones on the first floor. The timber floors are butted with iron tongues. The mill is driven internally by an American 'Little Giant' turbine installed in 1898, and a Francis twin turbine installed in 1914. The machinery dates mostly from 1914. The south end of the building contains the wheat washing cleaning and provender mill and storage facilities. The flour mill section is at the north end. On the second floor are sifters dating from 1914. On the first floor are two purifiers dating from 1932 and on the ground floor are the roller mills dating mostly from 1905.
Listing NGR: SK2557365743
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.