SK 17 SE PARISH OF LITTON UPPERDALE LANE 3/66 (West Side) 12.7.67 Cressbrook Mill GV II*
Cotton mill, now disused. 1814-15 for William Newton. Rubble limestone, partly rendered, with gritstone dressings and quoins. Hipped Welsh slate roof with octagonal wooden cupola with ogee lead roof. Three storeys, plus basement, constructed of timber beams and cast iron supports. Spiral stone staircase in projecting bay to west. North elevation of twelve, plus two bays. The twelve bays symmetrical with the centre four advanced beneath a pediment. Three tiers of twelve windows, the top ones slightly smaller. Projecting stone lintels and sills. Some original glazing bar sashes and small paned fixed lights. Clock face in the pediment. Two bays set back to the right with four windows to the left, now blind, with iron Gothick glazing bars. These are probably the remains of the original mill of 1779 which stood at right angles. Three windows to the right, enlarged. Wheel pit to the north west. South elevation of eleven bays, four-four-three, the centre four bays advanced beneath a pediment. Three tiers of eleven windows as on the north side. Clock face in the pediment. The clock, which works the two faces from the same mechanism, and the cupola were added in 1837 to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Victoria. The cupola is octagonal with round-arches, with projecting keyblocks and impost blocks. Modillion cornice and ogee lead roof. The three bells are inscribed 'Thomas Mears of London Founder 1837'. Lower, C20, building with sawtooth roof, attached along south side and not of special interest. The mill closed down in 1965.
Listing NGR: SK1729972709