College Hall of Residence, formerly a Hydropathic Establishment. Built c 1860 largely extended by Parker and Unwin 1901-05 in the Art Nouveau Style. Further extensions 1923 and 1928,converted to a college c 1950. Coursed rubble with ashlar and red brick dressings and some rendering with plain tile roofs. 3 storey mid C19 original block with 7 bay south front with ashlar coped gables and kneelers plus 2 ashlar gable stacks. This front has some original glazing bar sashes, and some C20 casements. Attached to the east end and projecting 7 bays to the south is the tall 5 storey plus attic extension wing added by Parker and Unwin. This wing has continuous ashlar lintel bands with pronounced stone buttresses rising the full height of the building and topped by tall brick stacks, with chamfered ashlar caps. The upper floor is jettied and rendered. All the windows in this block are glazing bar cross casements, many with shallow canted bay windows within the wall surface. The south entrance front has a single central doorway with windows above and octagonal corner turrets to eitherside, these project above the roof line with slightly jettied towers sur- mounted by hipped roofs crowned with octagonal wooden cupolas. Projecting eastward from the north corner of this building is a 2 storey block with on the ground floor 3 large round arched ashlar openings. The left hand arch has a doorway, the two right hand arches have double carriage doors. Above is an overhanging tent like glazed canopy of wood and metal. The upper floor is a conservatory, probably added 1923, with a curved glass roof. The entrance from the east has central part glazed double doors, and similar part glazed side panels, with at the corners elongated scroll brackets. Projecting to the north, and attached to the eastern corner of the original block is a stepped 3 storey, mid C19 wing which is rendered and has margin light sashes. This wing is attached to the rear, Cavendish Road block built 1928 of 3 storeys and 10 bays wide, topped with a parapet and a small square tower to the west and a large square tower to the east. This block is also rendered. The north street front has an off-centre doorway to the left with a small window beyond to the right 3 larger windows, then 2 garage doors and another door beyond. Above 10 large windows and above again 10 more windows. All these windows have their original metal frame glazing bar casement ,under ashlar chamfered lintels. To the rear of this range is a single storey gymnasium building probably also designed by Parker and Unwin. The interior still retains its original staircases and many of its original fittings including fireplaces and corner cupboards with metal hinges. Many of these fittings are decorated with heart shaped Art Nouveau style motifs.
Listing NGR: SK3020060924