Skip to main content

Listed Building: OLD HOUSE MUSEUM INCLUDING MOUNTING BLOCK (1247512)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 831-1, 4, 92
Date assigned Tuesday, April 20, 1954
Date last amended

Description

BAKEWELL SK2168 CUNNINGHAM PLACE 831-1/4/92 (West side) 20/04/54 Old House Museum including mounting block (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH LANE (West side) Cunningham Place (Old House Museum)) II* House, extended and altered to form various dwellings, now local history museum. C16 and C17, possibly of earlier origin and with later additions and alterations. Rubble limestone with sandstone dressings; stone slate roof. Irregular H-shaped plan with earliest range forming left cross wing. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Large quoins. Left gable has restored, mullioned and transomed 3-light window; 2-light mullioned window to first floor and small opening above. Gabled 2-storey porch to right of cross wing has quoined doorway with elongated lintel; 2-light window over. Central recess with 2 multi-paned iron casements to each floor; lower-right window has arched lintel. Right cross wing: two 2/2 sashes to each floor; C19 punched stone surrounds, shaped kneelers and gable copings. Set back to right is a side wing with door and with 2/2 sash to each floor; stone end stack with rounded cap. Left return of right cross wing has a blocked 2-light mullioned window to each floor; mounting block against wall. A corniced ashlar stack with brick shaft rises from left of valley near the porch. Left return (of left cross wing): projecting side wing lit by 2-light mullioned windows. Cross wing has doorway and multi-paned casement beneath restored 2-light mullioned window. INTERIOR: central range with large rear-wall fireplace having splayed ashlar reveals, keeping holes and arched timber lintel; various ceiling beams; C20 staircase in original stair turret to left of the fireplace. Left cross wing: ashlar fireplaces on both floors and a timber-framed partition which rises through 2 floors and has triangular-headed doorways and some original wattle and daub infill. Oak beams, oak floorboards and exposed roof timbering: principal-rafter truss with collar, single purlins with wind braces. Room to rear with small C18 corniced ashlar fireplace. Over centre range is another ashlar fireplace and against the right cross wing an oak partition with fragment of a triangular-headed doorway. To rear-left corner of right cross wing is an oak-framed doorway giving access to a garderobe. Central ground-floor room of right cross wing with C19 cottage features; arched cellar to rear. HISTORY: a complex house thought to have evolved from a medieval hall and cross wing, the latter possibly underbuilt c1535 to provide a "competant dwelling house" as detailed in a 1534 lease from The Dean and Chapter of Lichfield Cathedral to Ralf Gell of Hopton. In 1777 Sir Richard Arkwright leased the house from Philip Gell and converted it into 6 dwellings for mill employees; one of the cottages demolished mid C20, remnants attached to left cross wing. (Bakewell and District Historical Society: Old House Museum, Bakewell: 1984-; Journal of The Bakewell and District Historical Society: Meeke E R: 1984-: 11-30). Listing NGR: SK2147868541

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 2147 6854 (point)
Map sheet SK26NW
Civil Parish BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Aug 22 2023 12:15PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.