Listed Building: RUINS OF FORMER SNELSTON HALL AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATES (1281004)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority English Heritage
Volume/Map/Item 478, 2, 91
Date assigned Friday, August 10, 1951
Date last amended Friday, July 19, 1985

Description

Ruined remains of large Neo-Gothic house with attached walls and gateways. c1828 by L N Cottingham for the Harrisons, mostly demolished in 1951. Sandstone and brick with stone dressings. One wall of the former hall survives with courtyard to north, surrounded by stone walls, which in turn link up to gateway to north,west and garden walls with gates which encompass-the site of tile former hall. The remaining wall of the hall comprises a tall blank stone wall with towers to either end, continuous stringcourse near top and embattled ridgeback coped parapets over. Western tower has stone basin to base, set in basket headed niche with gargoyle head, from which water spouted. Above is an ovolo moulded lancet in recessed flat headed surround with incised spandrels. Over stringcourse above is a 3-light recessed and chamfered mullion window with ogee headed lights and pierced spandrels, in flat headed surround with hoodmould over. Corbelled embattled parapets over with extra corner turret to east, again with embattled parapets. East tower has double lancet in flat headed surround and above a 2-light window with ogee lights similar to those on western tower, plus corbelled embattled parapets above. Attached to north side of wall a brick lean-to with central- stone coped gable bay and stone mullioned windows, Also attached are plain stone walls running round courtyard, of which the west wall links to gateway with large four-centred arch with corbelled barrel vault and small similar arch to north, both with Gothic panelled gates. To south of gateway is thin circular tower with embattled parapets. A walkway runs over the gateway and along the west wall to the tower. Attached to south side of gateway is the original garden wall with ridgeback copings, which runs southwards and connects to a.similar wall to east by a retaining wall running in front of the former hall. Approximately 4 metres south-west of the west tower is a gate in the wall with central four-centred arch, surmounted by corbelled ridgeback copings and flanked by columns with circular embattled tops and incised arrow slits. In the section of wall that runs to the east side of the former hall are two pairs of gates, each with circular columns, topped by pyramidal copings and with original gates between. These are made up of a timber grid with panels of decorative ironwork to the top. (Formerly listed as 'The Hall')

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 15762 43594 (point)
Map sheet SK14SE
Civil Parish SNELSTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 26 2013 9:39AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.