SK 17 SW PARISH OF CHELMORTON MAIN STREET 2/63 (East Side) 12.7.1967 Church of St John the Baptist GV II*
Church. C13, C14, restored 1869 by H Currey. Coursed, squared gritstone to chancel and tower. Coursed limestone with gritstone dressings to rest. Plain tile and slate chancel roof. Slate north aisle roof. Stone slabs to south porch, other roofs leaded. Embattled western tower with projecting north west stair turret. Nave with lower north aisle and south porch. South transept and embattled two bay chancel. Low, two stage tower with setback stepped buttresses to three sides. Stringcourse over. Twin, cusped headed bell openings under square hood, on all sides. Louvred with stone slates. Oversailing, embattled parapet over. Recessed, octagonal stone spire with twin, louvred lucarnes to four sides. North nave aisle has two C19 cusped lancets. Blank clerestory wall and embattled parapet over. North chancel wall has stepped plinth, and gabletted buttresses to west side of two Perp 2-light cusped headed window with pierced spandrels. Flat hood with return stops over. Moulded string- course and embattled parapets over. South chancel similar, with additional pointed doorcase. Windows C19 copies. C19 panel tracery east window with dripmould over. Diagonal, gabletted, buttresses either side. South transept has Y-tracery window to east, triple stepped lancets to south, both c1300. Beyond to west CI9 south porch. To either side, C19 cusped lancets. Above, C19 cusped headed windows. Interior - three bay south arcade of c1200 with octagonal columns moulded capitals and double, chamfered, semi-circular arches. Similar four bay north arcade of c1300. Arches now pointed. Pointed arch added to south arcade into south transept c1300. Blocked, pointed, chamfered tower arch. Perp chancel arch, continuously moulded soffit. Pilasters and capitals to sides. Remains of Perp stone rood screen. Blank cusped ogee arcade with pierced quatrefoils over Early C20 wooden screen in similar style above. In chancel, to west, cusped ogee piscina. To east double cusped ogee sedilla under square hood. Quatrefoil patterns on seats, both mid C17. Various wall memorials included fine white marble one of 1683 for Georgius Dale. Similar memorial to Swan family of 1740. Stained glass east window of I880 by Jones and Wallis. Cusped, trefoil, piscina to north nave aisle east wall. Octagonal Perp font with moulded base, and cusped decorated panels over. Painted charity plaques of 1740 and 1821.
Listing NGR: SK1155570262