Mansion. Dated 1626 and 1628 but with earlier and later wings. The 1626-28 range built for Barnard Wells. Coursed limestone and chert with ashlar sandstone to the porch facade, parapets, stacks and dressings; graduated slate and stone slate roofs. EXTERIOR: 1626-28 block of 3 storeys and 3x4 bays; later C17 wing to rear right is lower and of 3 bays; 2-storey and attic, 3-bay wing against left return forms an L-shape enclosing an early wing adjoining the rear left corner of the 1626-28 block. Various mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights. Original (south) entrance front: symmetrical; large quoins; chamfered plinth. Central 3-storey porch with moulded doorway infilled by ovolo-moulded cross-window; lintel with recessed date panel 'BWB 1626'; moulded and transomed 4-light window with dripmould to first floor; double-chamfered 4-light window to second floor. Bays to either side have early canted 2-storey bay windows with renewed cross-windows and rectangular-pane leaded lights; second-floor windows as centre (which, together with the central first-floor window have diamond-pane leaded lights). String courses beneath embattled ashlar parapets with shaped finials and central bellcote said to bear the date 1628 and name 'Barnard Wells' (sic). Hipped roof with rolled-lead ridges; large central stack with band, cornice and ashlar pots. Wing set back to left: various double-chamfered mullioned windows with iron casements and Gothick leaded lights; single-light window to first-floor right has 6/9 sash; dripmoulds. Studded, cross-boarded oak door in chamfered, quoined surround which cuts a pointed-arched doorway of uncertain date. Parapet links 3 dormers each with one keyed oeil-de-boeuf beneath ogee gable with moulded copings and finial. Hipped roof with corniced ridge stack and 3 matching dormers to left return. Right return of 1626-28 block: ovolo-moulded cross-windows to each floor; interrupted dripmoulds; C19 doorway to bay 3 has
studded door and fanlight with ogee glazing bars in moulded, arched surround beneath hoodmould. Later wing to right, of C17 origin, has doorway to bay 3, otherwise 2-light double-chamfered mullioned windows to the outer bays. Single-light window to first-floor centre beneath C19 arched 3-light window. Ashlar parapet with finials; end stack on right. Rear: earliest wing to rear-left corner of 1626-28 range has large external end stack adjoined by winding stone steps to attic door on right; ashlar stack to ridge of stone slate roof. INTERIOR: ground floor of earliest wing has massive kitchen fireplace with chamfered arch and niches within; large scantling ceiling beams join into a transverse beam (now clad) possibly on the line of a former screen. The room above has a bolection-moulded fireplace and 2-panel door. Fragment of a smoke-hood said to survive in the attic to rear of this wing. 1626-28 range with ashlar fireplaces backing onto the central stack; oak panelling to the principal rooms, carved friezes of different designs. Closed-string oak staircase with turned balusters and half-balusters against the newels; deep-section handrail; early pendants but later ball finials. The lower and upper passageways generally remodelled early C19 with 6-panel doors and basket archways. Second-floor of rear-right wing has former chapel with cambered tie beam and arched ceiling.
Listing NGR: SK2154769106