Skip to main content


Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1885, 2, 17
Date assigned Tuesday, September 2, 1952
Date last amended Wednesday, March 11, 1987


'SK 43 SW 2/17 2.9.52 PARISH OF ELVASTON BORROWASH ROAD (West Side) Coach House and Attached Buildings at Elvaston Castle (formerly listed as part of Elvaston Castle) GV II Coach house and attached range. Early C19 by James Wyatt in Tudor style, with minor later alterations. Built for the Earls of Harrington. Tooled ashlar and red brick, with stone dressings and plain stone plinth. Hipped graduated slate roofs, partly hidden behind embattled parapets to east facade and three central bays of west facade, with rendered timber framed clock tower, surmounted by an embattled turret, to centre. Two storey, six bay range with single storey range attached to north of west elevation. Main, east elevation, all of ashlar, has three central bays advanced and centre bay advanced again with stepped corner buttresses and a continuous double chamfered pointed arch through the building. Similar lower blocked arches to either side and above, recessed and chamfered cross windows with returned hoodmoulds to either side of similar 3-light window with four-centred arched lights. Three bay side wings each have three blocked four-centred arched single light windows with returned hoods to ground floor and three similar glazed windows above, with stepped buttresses to either side. West facade has side wings in red brick, and three centre bays in ashlar with similar elevation to that to east except the side bays have panelled doors within the arches and the centre bay has no buttresses. Side wings each have two four-centred arched doorcases with incised spandrels, returned hoods and panelled doors with two recessed and chamfered cross windows plus similar hoods between, and similar single light windows to the outer side of each door. Above, each wing has two similar 2-light windows to centre, flanked to either side by pairs of similar single light windows. Single storey range attached to north has advanced part to west with two wide four-centred arches, now filled by doors and glazed screens, flanked to either side by recessed lower bays with four-centred arched windows under returned hoods plus segment headed plain sashes. Later single bay part to east attaching this range to the main range, has brick segment headed doorcase with panelled door to west and 2-light segment headed window to east. To west end of north range is a low ashlar wall running south, with ridgeback copings and deep plinth, which has a pair of tall panelled early C19 stone gate piers to southern end. Listing NGR: SK4071833016.

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  • Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 40718 33016 (point)
Map sheet SK43SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Sep 3 2023 8:08PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.