Listed Building: BRIZLINCOTE HALL FARMHOUSE (1096480)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1259, 2, 3
Date assigned Thursday, January 19, 1967
Date last amended

Description

House. Built in 1707 for the Second Earl of Chesterfield. Red brick and sandstone ashlar, hipped plain tile roof with two massive red brick and ashlar stacks. Chamfered stone plinth, projecting stone quoins, moulded first floor band and moulded dentilled second floor band. Segmental pediments across the full width of each facade. Rectangular plan. Two storeys and attics. North elevation of five symmetrical bays. Semi- basement with four windows. Flight of five semi-circular steps to central doorway with moulded architrave and swan-neck pediment on moulded consoles repeated at right angles against the wall. Half glazed door. Inscribed above NON IGNARA MALI MISERIS SUCCURRERE DISCO AD 1714. (Not ignorant of ill, I learn to help the unhappy). To the left, two glazing bar sashes in moulded architraves. Two similar architraves to the right, one with a blind window, the second with a cross window casement. The first floor has five windows in moulded architraves with alternating segmental and triangular pediments. Cross window casements in all but the left window which is blind. Within the pediment a central blind window with triangular pediment, flanked by glazing bar sashes in moulded architraves with swan neck pediments, flanked in turn by blind circular windows. Similar five bay south elevation with mostly C19 casement lights. Above the doorway the inscription HOMO LUPUS AD 1714. (Man is a Wolf to Man). Two bay east elevation with C19 single bar sashes in C18 moulded architraves. Two similar above, in pedimented architraves and two circular windows in the pediment, one of them blind. Lower C19 and C20 wing to west not of special interest. Interior: Brick vaulted basement service rooms. Large four-centred arched fireplace in what was probably the kitchen. Circular splays to the windows. Low ground floor rooms, mostly altered. The hall has a huge four-centred arched fireplace bay. One room has an Adam style chimneypiece. From the hall a door opens to a plain dogleg staircase. The attic staircase has a balustrade with balusters that look C20. The first floor is treated as a piano nobile and all the rooms have bolection moulded panelling, with doors to match. The cornice remains in one room, double, with egg and dart. The attic contains four boxed-in lead cisterns which drain off the water from the roof. Listing NGR: SK2727022027

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 27325 22080 (point)
Map sheet SK22SE
Civil Parish BRETBY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jul 28 2009 1:30PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.