Farm outbuilding. Late C17, with C18 and C19 alterations and additions, and further extended C20. Coursed squared gritstone,with ashlar gritstone dressings, a single stone ridge stack, plain gables and a stone slated roof. South elevation; single storey with overlofts, 8 bays,the 5 bays to the west having been remodelled and raised, to serve as a cowhouse with overlofts. At left hand end,2 ground floor doorways with massive lintels and surrounds keyed into surrounding masonry. Plain planked doors. 3 tiers of slit vents to this range which has a near full-height double doorway beneath a shallow segmental arch. Ashlar-quoined door opening, with internal rebate for original doors.To the right,further 3 bays,the first served by an inserted doorway, with flush jambs,shallow lintel and a plain plank door. Further right,a doorway with massive keyed jambs, deep lintel and a plank door. The next bay has a segmentally-arched double doorway, formerly a cartshed, with ashlar quoins, voussoirs,keyblock and planked doors. Adjacent stone steps give access to a first floor tack room, with massive surround to doorway,plank door,and 2 light flush-mullioned window with saddle bars. Hearth to tack room served by stone chimney stack. Within stone stairway,kennel recess with henhouse over. Right end bay with wide stable doorway having a keyed surround below a massive lintel. To the right, an inserted C19 window. Right end gable with partially blocked taking-in loft doorway. Left end with taking- in doorway beneath timber lintel. C19 and C20 monopitch lean-to's to rear elevation. Interior; 5 bay part to left with 4 king post trusses, with curved upward sweeping braces. Ridge purlin set diagonally into notched head of king post. History; an inventory for the adjacent Brook House Farmhouse (q.v.) of 1681 refers to 'the new barn'. A complex, multi-purpose farm building, the form and adaptation of which demonstrates changing patterns of agriculture in this part of upland Derbyshire.
Listing NGR: SK0429278458