Town house, now hotel. 1572, altered 1672, rebuilt 1725-35, extended mid C18 and 1795-1805, with late C19 refenestration and C20 alterations. Originally built for the Earl and Countess of Shrewsbury. Ashlar gritstone and render with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate hipped roofs and stone stacks. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, with 2-storey and single-storey additions, and basement to east facade. Main front has 3-storey main block left, 5 windows arranged 1:3:1, with slightly projecting side wings. Plinth, raised quoins and bands to wings, topped by moulded cornice and rebuilt ashlar parapet. Central doorway has Tuscan Doric columns and entablature, moulded concave door surround, overlight and double doors. Either side two 2/2 sashes in moulded surrounds, above central 2/2 sash within moulded round headed surround flanked by 2 tall 2/2 sashes in moulded surrounds, above again 5 similar smaller sashes. Later 2-storey wing to left has 6 windows arranged 3:3, with plinth, first-floor sill band and moulded eaves. 6 large 2/2 sashes to ground floor and 6 smaller sashes above. 4-window single-storey range beyond with similar sashes. East front has irregular 8-window front arranged 2:3:3, right section 4 storeys. Quoins, plinth, bands and moulded cornice with plain parapet partly rendered. Left section has two 2/2 sashes to lower 2 floors and 2 narrow 4/4 sashes above. Central section has central doorway with ashlar door surround and above 2 single 2/2 windows in continuous vertical panel, and either side 3-storey canted bay windows with similar sashes, the upper bays added late C19. Right section has 3 round arched openings to ground floor and 3 cross casements above with three 2/2 sashes above and above again 3 smaller similar sashes. INTERIOR: shows sections of original C16 building survive encased within later additions. Surviving features include 3 ft. thick original walling, exposed wall studding to basement,
doorways with depressed arched lintels and chamfered and stopped surrounds, some re-used, concealed mullion windows; original plasterwork to first floor principal room with encased beam with rolled mouldings. Second floor has blocked 4-light mullioned and transomed windows (concealed). Flues have been removed. The early C18 staircase rises from the entrance corridor. The kitchen fireplace probably also early C18. Later features include a C19 bow window to ground floor office, positioned to overlook corridor. HISTORY: until recently it was believed that the 1572 building was demolished in 1670. The original building reputed to have been one of many houses belonging to the Earl of Shrewsbury used to imprison Mary Queen of Scots. Later guests included Celia Fiennes (1697). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 115; Thornes R: The Old Hall Hotel , Buxton.; Morris C: The Journeys of Celia Fiennes: London: 1947-: 103).
Listing NGR: SK0575473477