Formerly known as: Golf Cottage THE FRONT Fairfield. House. c1600 restored and altered C20. Uncoursed limestone rubble with gritstone dressings stone slate roof with stone stacks. L-plan with later gabled cross wing. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Quoins and chamfered mullion windows with hoodmoulds throughout. South front has 3 windows arranged 1:3, with projecting gabled cross wing to left. Cross wing has 4-light window to each floor. Set back to right off-centre doorway in ashlar surround with segment headed fixed light to left and 5-light window beyond, to right 3-light window. To right 2-light casement in single-storey lean-to addition. North front has off-centre gabled porch with triangular headed doorway and plank door, to left 2-light window and to right 2-light and 3-light windows. Above single 3-light through eaves gabled dormer window. Left return has 3-light window on first floor. Right return has 3-light window and above linked single and 2-light windows. INTERIOR: has had stairs moved from original position and cross passage wall removed. Main bridging beams chamfered and stopped. 2 early stone fireplaces survive, both with mantels on corbels, one with projecting shelves to mid jamb, that to left of original main entrance has been moved. Reputed to contain stained glass from original Fairfield Church. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 214).
Listing NGR: SK0703774105
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.