Church. 1839, altered 1895-97, 1902 and late C20. By William Swan, village schoolmaster, on site of earlier church. Coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs. STYLE: Gothick with Gothic Revival additions. PLAN: west tower and nave. South porch added 1897 and transepts, chancel, south-east vestry and north-east organ chamber added in 1902. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth. Original nave has chamfered eaves and corner pinnacles. 3-stage west tower has rusticated quoins and single lancets to both lower stages on 3 exposed sides. Third stage has 2-light Y-tracery bell opening to each face, topped with moulded cornice battlements and corner pinnacles. Nave has three 2-light Y-tracery windows to each side and to south a projecting gabled porch, with moulded pointed arched doorway with double plank doors and ornate iron hinges, with date and inscription in gable apex. South transept has pointed arched doorway and above a 2-light pointed arched reticulated tracery window. Beyond south-east vestry has pointed arched doorway flanked by single lancets with a circular window above. Chancel has single side lancets and a 3-light pointed arched window with reticulated tracery. Organ chamber has a single lancet and north transept has a 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery. All windows have hoodmoulds and carved label stops, and the later additions to east have angle buttressing. INTERIOR: plain stonework to original building, later additions whitewashed except for gritstone dressings. Nave of 3 bays. Wooden gallery to west end on cast-iron columns, modified in 1977. 1859 king post roof. Open benches. FITTINGS: include stone font possibly from earlier church. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 214; The Story of St Peter's Church).
Listing NGR: SK0668474142