Cotton spinning mill with integral engine house. c1840 with late C19 additions, and C20 alterations. Damaged by fire 1996, and subsequently reduced in size. Coursed millstone grit and ashlar dressings with stone slate and C20 tile roofs.
EXTERIOR: 5 storeys. 22 window facade and irregular 4 window sides, with irregular fenestration. South front has 22 windows, all under square headed lintels, mainly 8-pane to lower 4 floors, those to top floors smaller. 2 tall round headed windows to extreme left lit former integral engine house. Single storey 1913 extension to front with single storey weaving sheds under north-light roofs. Block to left includes walkway to adjacent building. Tall brick chimney stack dated 1913.
INTERIOR: massive wooden cross beams with joists and compounded double skimmed boards for added strength, supported by circular section cast-iron columns, the upper floors with brackets. Roof of king post construction with struts. The roof valleys each have internal gutters. Originally had sprinkler system. Doors on sliding rail system. Later internal hoist.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: included in this listing is the stretch of watershot masonry walling to front of the mill, fronting onto High Street West. The earliest mill on this site was built c1800 for Lord Howard's agent Matthew Ellinson. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 219; Scott J: Glossop Dale Manor and Borough: Glossop (Senior Pub.): 1973-1986: 57).
Book Reference - Author: Scott, J - Title: Glossop Dale Manor and Borough - Date: 1973-1986 - Page References: 57
Book Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Derbyshire - Date: 1953 - Page References: 219 - Type: DESC TEXT