Listed Building: THE SHRUBBERY (1392327)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Date assigned Thursday, December 6, 2007
Date last amended

Description

House with attached outbuildings, unoccupied and secured against entry at the time of inspection (October 2007). C.1800 with late C19 alterations and additions. Red brick laid to Flemish bond on the principal elevation and set upon a low sandstone plinth. Ashlar sandstone dressings and copings. Deep timber eaves cornice, gable chimneys and slate roof covering laid to diminishing courses but partially replaced by C20 sheet materials. PLAN: formal linear plan in imitation of a Palladian ensemble, the house placed centrally between 2 flanking pavilion-style outbuildings. EXTERIOR: Symmetrical composition of house and outbuildings, the house of 3 bays and 2 storeys, the 2 single storey outbuildings of matching proportions and detailing originally linked to the house by means of curved and ramped walling, now breached on both flanks. The house has a segmental-arched headed doorway, formerly set within a pedimented door case as indicated by the outline of the former door case. Flanking the doorway are window openings set beneath painted stone wedge lintels and with plain stone cills. The window openings are overboarded, and are believed to retain sash frames. At either end are the remains of flanking walls which originally linked the house and outbuildings. The left hand (north) wall retains curved ramping at its head. The surviving portion of the right-hand (south) wall is now incorporated within the front end wall of a lean-to built against the south gable of the house. The base of the former curved wall extends to the south outbuilding, which has a pediment to its front gable with ashlar copings. Below the pediment is a wide 3-centre arched blind opening incorporating a shallow arched single doorway. The left-hand (north) wall is ramped at its head where it adjoins the house, and beyond a collapsed central section meets the north outbuilding. This is of matching proportions to the south outbuilding, but has a plain timber linter above a double doorway, the lintel having replaced an earlier arched head. The rear of the house faces a hillside, and the only window opening is a tall arch-headed opening, now blocked, to the projecting stair tower with a curved rear wall. One of 2 lean-to additions survives to the north of the stair tower. INTERIOR: not inspected, but believed to retain the original floor plan, much of the original stair and evidence of original decorative finishes. HISTORY: depicted on the 1883 Ordnance Survey, and identified as 'Cinnery'. The building formed part of the Stanton Estate in South Derbyshire. REASONS FOR DESIGNATION. The Shrubbery is recommended for listing for the following principal reasons: * It is of pre-1840 date and retains the majority of its historic fabric. * It is of a carefully-planned and distinctive design, with those elements which contribute to its special character and appearance being clearly identifiable. * The grouping and detailing of the component elements of the building group to resemble a miniature Palladian ensemble is an unusual and rare manifestation of display architecture of the period. * Its likely connection with a landed estate during a period of agricultural prosperity, experimentation and improvement enhances its claim to special interest.

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 2695 2094 (point)
Map sheet SK22SE
Civil Parish SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Dec 14 2007 11:19AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.