A late perpendicular two storied building of domestic character, probably situated to the NW of the now obliterated cloistral buildings. Part of the Abbot's House or Guest House(?). Two light square headed windows in E face and 4 centred arched window in SW face. Restored in 1979/80 by the Wood Newton Partnership and converted into a public house. Augustinian priory founded by Robert Ferrers c. 1146. Some of the masonry exhibits late 12th century fragments.
This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records. As such they do not yet have the full descriptions of their modernised counterparts available.
External Links (0)
Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1986. Scheduling nocitfication: Darley Abbey (remains of). List entry no. 1007050. SM Cat. No. 84.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.