Listed Building: Ockbrook and Borrowash War Memorial (1430179)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Date assigned Friday, May 13, 2016
Date last amended

Description

'First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1922, with Second World War additions. Reasons for Designation Ockbrook and Borrowash War Memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of an obelisk. History The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was unveiled and dedicated on 9 April 1922 in the Derbyshire parish of Ockbrook and Borrowash to honour the 80 local men who died during the conflict, along with one woman, Margaret E Hasse, a Voluntry Aid Detachment (VAD) nurse. Following the Second World War a further 22 names were added to commemorate the men who died during this conflict. Details First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1922, with Second World War additions. MATERIALS: Hopton Wood limestone. PLAN: it is square on plan. DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of an obelisk which stands on the west side of Victoria Avenue, between the villages of Ockbrook to the north and Borrowash to the south. It takes the form of an obelisk and comprises a two-stepped base which supports a rectangular plinth with a moulded capstone. An obelisk stands on the plinth and tapers in square section to a pyramidal top. On the north-west face of the obelisk is the inscription 'In Memoriam / 1914 - 1918 / 1935 - 1945' while the top step of the base on the same side bears the First World War dedication which reads 'REMEMBER WITH THANKSGIVING THE TRUE AND / FAITHFUL MEN, WHO IN THE YEARS OF WAR WENT / FORTH FROM THIS PARISH FOR GOD AND RIGHT; THE / NAMES OF THOSE WHO RETURNED NOT AGAIN ARE / HERE INSCRIBED TO BE HONOURED FOR EVERMORE.' The names of the First World War dead are inscribed on all four sides of the plinth while those who died during the Second World War are recorded on the base. In accordance with section 1.5A of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act, 1990, the sunken paved area surrounding the memorial, including the chain link fence with concrete fence posts, are excluded from the listing. This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017. Sources Websites War Memorials Online, accessed 25 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/70207 War Memorials Register, accessed 17 February 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/55461 Other Derby Daily Telegraph, 11 April 1922.' (1)

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  • Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1430179.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 42012 35357 (point)
Map sheet SK43NW
Civil Parish OCKBROOK, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Dec 27 2021 5:40PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.