Water pipe at the point which the water pumped up from the Derwent by the Leawood Pump emerges. The structure was completed in 1849. It is now a modern concrete arch with coping built of original stone lining. The structure discharges into an approximately 1.2m diameter cast iron pipe which descends steeply towards the chamber under the Pump House, into which the river water is drawn. There are timber cill slots set in a cast iron channel, which are set into stone/concrete sides to prevent backflow. Step irons in the stone provide access. Because of the statutory requirement to maintain river velocity to power the mills down river, water could only be pumped into the canal for 24 hours each week on a Sunday. An important feature, as it is one of only 3 steam-driven canal pumps that have been restored to working order. (1)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3149 5569 (3m by 6m) (Approximate)
CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.