A windmill is shown on this site on the Tibshelf Tithe Map of 1845. (1)
Tibshelf windmill lay on the outskirts of the village of Tibshelf at Nethermoor and served the 800 inhabitants of the village in 1851. It was reported by John Farey in 1808 as a working windmill and subsequently appeared on Greenwood's map of 1825. Reference to it on the Tithe Map of 1845 identifies it as a post mill without a roundhouse, situated in a field about 100 yards from the lane leading off to Pilsley. In 1857 George Cook was the miller and the mill probably went out of use soon after this. On the 1880 OS map it is marked as 'Old Windmill' and does not appear on subsequent issues. (2)
Map: 1845. Map of the Parish of Tibshelf in theCounty of Derby.
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 2003. Derbyshire Windmills Past and Present. p 91.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 42835 60507 (30m by 31m)
TIBSHELF, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 11 2016 2:58PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.