Building record MDR10010 - Former Baptist Chapel, Bridge Street, Belper

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

General Baptist Chapel, Bridge Street. 'A neat stone building, erected in 1820, at a cost of £800, will seat upwards of 400 persons'. (1) The former Belper Baptist Church is a Grade II building built in 1818, recessed from the street behind the buildings on the frontage. It is of two storeys constructed from ashlar with a hipped slate roof. (2) Late 19th and early 20th century OS maps show the building as 'Sunday School'. (3, 4, 5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 192.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1087405.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XL-13, 1898.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XL-13.
  • <5> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XL-13.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3467 4771 (16m by 17m)
Civil Parish BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 30 2020 10:30AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.