Monument record MDR1002 - Big Boroughs, Alsop-En-Le-Dale, Eaton and Alsop
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Field name in the tithe award of 1846 is Big Boroughs which Cameron suggests is an equivalent to Burgh, implying a settlement. However, when James visited the site, he observed no field evidence. (1-4). Upon re-examination of Cameron's Place-Names of Derbyshire, he records Big Boroughs as a burg described as a 'burrow' rather than a burgh which is a 'fortified settlement'. This site has therefore been misinterpreted as a settlement and is more likely to be the remains of a burrow. (5).
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 3377, sketch.
- <2> SDR8556 Map: 1846. Map: Tiithe Award.
- <3> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p 363, 669.
- <4> SDR20084 Personal Observation: James, C. 21-APR-78. Pers. Comm..
|Grid reference||SK 161 551 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||EATON AND ALSOP, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2009 2:40PM