Listed Building record MDR10026 - Spring House, Arch, Well and Water Trough, High Street, Ticknall
Type and Period (4)
Spring House, arch, well and water trough, High Street, Ticknall, an early 19th century complex. 'One of three wells in Ticknall. They received water from springs some distance away and were used for fresh clean water for the local residents prior to 1914 when mains water was connected to standpipes in the village.' (1) 'A stone arched and brick built well and well housings dating from the early 19th century is fed from the source of the stream. During 1913, Sir Vauncey Harpur-Crewe initiated a scheme to modernise Ticknall’s water system and so a number of stand pipes gravity fed from a reservoir and served by a wind pump were commissioned, supplied by Glenfield & Kenny Ltd. The water was mainly sourced from a stream in the fields west of Spring Cottage. To tap this source, a substantial pump was sunk in the area close by in 1914, though there was a delay to the implementation of the scheme as the carter employed to transport he equipment from Melbourne was called up on the outbreak of World War I. The fountains or pumps used to distribute the water across Ticknall were shaped as lion motifs, with the spout emerging from the lion’s mouth. Footings of the windpump can also be seen today along with the original well, still in situ.' (2) Village fountain at Ticknall, pedestal or pillar with lion motif. (3) From the National Heritage List for England: 'In the entry for : PARISH OF TICKNALL HIGH STREET SK 32 SW (west side) 3/95 Spring and Garden Wall to No 42 GV II The entry shall be amended to read : SK 32 SW TICHNALL HIGH STREET 3/95 Spring House and attached Garden Wall, incorporating Water Trough GV II Spring house and attached garden wall incorporating water trough. Early C19. Rubble and ashlar sandstone. Rubblestone wall, with plain chamfered copings, incorporating rectangular trough enclosing garden of No 42. To the left the Spring House, with keyed round arch, behind which is a half dome, with brickwork lintol, and interior with square panel to the rear wall. The water from the spring runs into the trough, which is set into a curved projection in the garden wall. ------------------------------------ PARISH OF TICKNALL HIGH STREET SK 32 SW 3/95 (West Side) Spring and Garden Wall to No 42 GV II Spring with shelter and garden wall. Early C19. Rubble sandstone and sandstone ashlar. Rubblestone wall enclosing the front garden of No 42. Plain chamfered copings. To the left a shelter with keyed round arch. Half domed, brick lintel, interior with square panel to the rear wall. The water from the spring runs into a trough to the right, set into a curved projection in the garden wall. Listed for group value only. Listing NGR: SK3499223574.' (4)
- <1> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 13.1; with photos.
- <2> SDR19556 Bibliographic reference: Ticknall Preservation & Historical Society. 2002. 'From Tichenhalle to Ticknall, Sir Vauncey's Water System', Ticknall Preservation & Historical Society, 2002.
- <3> SDR3765 Unpublished document: Derbyshire County Council. 1977. Derbyshire Treasures, No. 2, Wells, Springs and Water Supplies.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1096476?section=official-list-entry.
|Grid reference||SK 34992 23574 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 18 2022 10:29PM