Monument record MDR10065 - Mickleover Windmill (site of ), Derby
Type and Period (1)
(Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1842 AD to 1974 AD)
Loading documents & images
Remains of a windmill on Mickleover Common, along Station Road. Three storeys (marginally four, plus cellar), many windows with curved sandstone sills. Walls about 14" thick. Formerly there was a heavy sandstone curb around the top. It was built c. 1842-46 and last worked in about 1890. It was operated by the Hill family for three generations. (1)
A windmill was moved to this site in 1850 from elsewhere in Mickleover. The three-storey brick tower had a very slight batter and later stood in a small yard. The mill worked until about the turn of the century, as there was no miller listed by Kelly in 1895. A painting of 1932 shows the tower, without a cap and with the shears bare. The mill was shown as "derelict" on a large scale 1956 map of Derby. At some time part of the upper floors were removed and it was demolished in about 1973/4. The site now forms part of a housing estate, built soon afterwards, with roads in the area being named 'Mill Lane' and 'Mill Croft'. (2)
Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. 15/7/1970.
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 2003. Derbyshire Windmills Past and Present. p 69, illust..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3091 3566 (9m by 8m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 6 2017 2:27PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.