A complex named as "Millbrook Mills ", which included a gasometer, is shown on the OS map of the 1880s. (1) The industrial buildings had been demolished by 1898, although the adjacent Millbrook House (the mill owner's house - see SMR 14272) is still named on the map. (2)
The original cotton mill was built by John Sidebottom in the late 18th century. Following a fire, the mill was demolished in 1882. (3)
Brothers William and George Sidebottom built Millbrook Mill in 1790 astride the Hollingworth Brook east of Tintwistle. It was a very well built stone factory of moderate size, including goit lodges and waterwheel. When William died in 1834 the mill was shared between George and his nephew, Ralph Sidebottom. The latter became sole owner in 1843 after George's death. Ralph's son, also named Ralph, was named executor of Millbrook Mill and estate in 1865, who decided to retire, so simply ceased business. (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet II.7.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet II.7, 1898.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 1/0196/027.
Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 89.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 01025 96763 (95m by 110m)
TINTWISTLE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2017 4:50PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.