Building record MDR10082 - Lodge Farm, Back Lane, Hollington
Type and Period (4)
- FARMHOUSE (Elizabethan to Stuart - 1575 AD? to 1700 AD?)
- OUTBUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CRUCK HOUSE (Elizabethan to Stuart - 1575 AD? to 1700 AD?)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Elizabethan to Stuart - 1575 AD? to 1700 AD?)
A 17th century and later brick built building, partly colour-washed with a galvanised iron roof which partly covers former thatch. The 2-storey building has brick stacks and casements with four windows at the front. In a poor condition in 1983, in use as a potato store and for other farm uses. (1) The building was listed as Grade II in 1985. The 17th and 18th century farmhouse with outbuildings is constructed from brick and timber framing. There are remains of a thatched roof covered with corrugated iron. It was originally a three room plan, and was extended to four rooms to the east in the 18th century. Inside is a cruck truss with a tie beam and arched braces, and a stud partition. (2) The cruck and all associated building work must be 16th century and, because there has always been a chimney and not an open hearth, it must be late in the 16th century. The western end has been rebuilt more than once, perhaps first in timber in the late 17th century, and finally in brick in the early 19th century. (3) A total of nine samples were obtained from the cruck for tree ring dating. These provided a felling date range of between 1459 and 1484, with the actual felling date possibly lying towards the upper limit of the felling date range. At the same time, six samples were taken from the square panel framing at the west end of the building. These generally provided an approximate felling date of c. 1630. One sample, however, had a likely felling date of c. 1483, suggesting that it has been re-used, possibly from the earlier phase of the building indicated by the cruck timbers. (4)
- <1> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. (un-numbered); with photos.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 3/2339/054.
- <3> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR76, February 1991.
- <4> SDR4471 Unpublished document: Nottingham University Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory. Dendro Sample Record and Summary. Initial reports 4 July 1994 and 11 July 1994.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 23153 39791 (18m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2015 12:50PM