Monument record MDR10095 - Possible moated site, North Wingfield
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
[Centred SK 4052 6451] Part of two sides of a square or oblong wet-moat exists in the Rectory grounds adjoining North Wingfield Church in which earlier buildings than the present one must have stood; whether it ever extended west to enclose the church cannot now be said; the gardener certifies, from the nature of the soil, that the northern ditch extended more westward or towards the church than the water does now. One of the two or more original corners - the north-east one - is still fairly perfect. (1) The former rectory is now known as Manor House [see SMR 10801]. The remains of the moat are partly filled in and will be covered by new buildings in the near future. Nothing is known of the history of the house or moat. The moat-corner is now almost completely filled by rubbish and material from the nearby erection of bungalows. No trace of its continuation was seen; it is unlikely to have surrounded the church. A 25" AM survey has been made. See GP: AO/59/368/5-6. (2) No change. (3) Old Rectory, North Wingfield. Listed as a medieval moated site with fishpond and embanked enclosure with platforms. Two sides of a pond or moat remain, partly infilled, to the north east of North Wingfield church. The grave digger reports deeper soils in the new churchyard extensions which may be a continuation of a moat. (4-5) The two sides of the pond were formerly depicted at SK 40536452. (6) Sections through the fills of the feature previously interpreted as a possible medieval moat were recorded during excavation of foundation trenches for two new bungalows. The surviving fills proved to be entirely modern in date, probably representing dumping during the 20th century. No medieval deposits or artefacts were present. The 'moat' feature may therefore simply represent an 18th or 19th century pond or lake within landscaped gardens, or at least the complete refurbishment of part of an earlier feature. (7)
- <1> SDR7898 Article in serial: Stevenson, W. 1918. 'Some notes on North Wingfield Church', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 40, pp 193-201. p 196.
- <2> SDR6473 Personal Observation: F1 WW 01-DEC-59.
- <3> SDR6613 Personal Observation: F2 JB 09-JUN-66.
- <4> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p148-50.
- <5> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p292.
- <6> SDR12046 Map: 1897.
- <7> SDR11035 Index: NDAT. 1602. 1602.
- <7> SDR19866 Unpublished document: Baker, S & Jackson, R (ARCUS). 2006. Archaeological Watching Brief on Land Adjacent to the Manor House, North Wingfield.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 40516 64509 (71m by 58m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH WINGFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 14 2020 9:59PM