Site of windmill. This site lies about one and a half miles to the east of Clay Cross, adjacent to Park House Green. The mill is marked as 'windmill', together with the small windmill symbol, on the one inch Ordnance Survey Map published in 1897, at a point locally known as Hagg Hill. No other record of the mill has been found and it is not marked on earlier or subsequent ordnance maps nor on early maps by Burdett, Greenwood, Sanderson, etc. No record of millers has been noted in any trade directories and yet it is most unusual for the OS surveyors to portray a mill on their maps without clear evidence being available at the time of the survey, noted as 1875-85. It is just possible that this could be a wind engine (pump) but this seems unlikely. (1)
The site is marked on the 1st ed. 25" OS map (of c. 1879/80) as 'Windmill (Flour)', with a track leading to it from the lane. It is not shown on the 2nd ed. 25" of 1899. (2, 3)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 2003. Derbyshire Windmills Past and Present. p 65.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXX.7.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXX.7, 1899.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4115 6369 (23m by 20m) (Approximate)
PILSLEY, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 6 2014 4:10PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.