Monument record MDR10108 - Pentrich Colliery (site of), Asher Lane, Pentrich
Type and Period (1)
- COLLIERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Pentrich Colliery is shown on the 1st ed OS map of the 1880s, with railway sidings, shafts and a limekiln. It had expanded by the end of the century, by which time it included a saw pit. (1, 2) A few surviving single storey brick buildings to the west of Amber (sic) Lane just to the north of the A38 Ripley Bypass are all that remain of the former Pentrich Colliery, the site now (1993) being occupied by R D Geeson Ltd (presumably Amber Lane is a misprint for Asher Lane). (3) The earliest part of the working colliery was south of the railwayline. It is believed that the pit was employing men from Pentrich by the 1750s, and it is also thought that bell-pits were exposed during the clearance of the site following the closure of the mine. (4) Site now occupied by Gleesons Scrap Metal. The formerly surviving building central to the site has been demolished in the last two years and there is a brick-built 1950s colliery(?) building on the north edge. (5) Two engine houses at Pentrich Colliery which was worked for coal and some iron. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XL.10.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet LX.10; 1900.
- <3> SDR18315 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1993. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazeteer of Sites Part III: Borough of Amber Valley. p 21.
- <4> SDR19608 *Internet Web Site: Pentrich Historical Society. 2005. Pentrich Historical Society. http://www.pentrich.org.uk/index.html.
- <5> SDR19177 Personal Observation: Myers, A. Site visit or other evidence. Site visit, Apr 20 2005.
- <6> SDR23116 Unpublished document: Instone, E. 1995. Butterley Industrial Landscape (Derby .2), 16th August 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 39369 51804 (349m by 149m)|
|Civil Parish||PENTRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 9 2015 12:45PM