Loscoe Colliery was probably sunk in the 1830s to work the Deep Soft and the Deep Hard coal. It is shown on the 1st edition OS map of 1836. It was owned by Goodwin and Griffin, was then taken over in about 1840 by E D Whittingstall and again by the Butterley Company in about 1856. The Colliery was closed in 1933 after having tried to work the Roof Coal and the Ell Coal in a last attempt to keep it going. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Heanor & District Local History Society. 1993. A History of Mining in the Heanor Area.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 42311 47477 (293m by 258m)
HEANOR AND LOSCOE, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2012 11:30AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.