Monument record MDR10126 - Brampton branch of the Midland Railway, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY (Victorian - 1870 AD to 1870 AD)
In 1870 the Midland Railway opened the Brampton branch off its main Leeds to Derby line. This branch line ran from Chesterfield to Brampton, linking the expanding industrial area along the Hipper with the main line. Map evidence shows that it originally ran as far as New Brampton Colliery, but that by the end of the century it had been extended another 500m or so further west to serve several potteries. (1-3)
- <1> SDR19606 Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2002. Extensive Urban Survey: Chesterfield. Archaeological Assessment Report..
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXV.6, 1876.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXV.6, 1898.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 37577 70832 (2153m by 358m)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2019 4:37PM