The Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway's Langwith to Beighton branch opened in 1898. It closed to regular passenger traffic in 1939. It is now completely abandoned following the closure of Westthorpe Colliery. (1)
The biggest development of the LDEC was the construction of the Derbyshire Lines. The first section of the main line, from Beighton to Staverley Works, was brought into use in December 1891, being operated by contractor engines, and public traffic between Beighton and Staverley Town began on June 1st, 1892. Three days later the section from Staverley Town to Chesterfield was opened. On the new line the intermediate stations were Killamarsh, Eckington & Renishaw, Staverley Works and Sheepbridge & Brimington. The next section from Staverley Town to Annesley junction, was opened on 24th October 1892, when goods and coal trains began running to Nottingham. Springwood and Annesley tunnels were threaded on the way. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 2.
Bibliographic reference: Dow, G. 1962. Great Central. Volume II. Dominion of Watkin, 1864-1899.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 50530 75274 (7851m by 12688m)
KILLAMARSH, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
BARLBOROUGH, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
CLOWNE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
ELMTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
SCARCLIFFE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 28 2022 5:55PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.