New Rowsley Station (1863). This is the standard design of Matlock - New Mills stations and supplanted the original station when the main line through to New Mills was opened. Linear floor plan with outbuilding at the south end to house men's toilets. Built of ashlar masonry with a birdsfoot tooling. Fairly low pitched hipped roof carried out over the eaves on wooden brackets. Large gable ended porch over the entrance to the booking hall on the road frontage, this stands on a pair of iron columns. The platform frontage is faced with a wall carried above the gutter line. This acts as the backing for the sawtooth canopy over the platform. The latter has a slender iron framework, decorated spandrel brackets, and is supported on a row of iron columns. There are pilasters on the platform face corresponding to the gullies of the canopy. The station has the conventional side platform layout. Cross platform interchange is by subway at the north end of the platforms. The building on the subsidiary platform (ie north bound) has already been demolished , while the station itself is in semi-derelict condition, with demolition likely [in 1972]. (1)
Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Rowsley New Station (1972).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 25825 65856 (53m by 49m)
ROWSLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2017 3:56PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.