By 1880 a brewery had been established on the north side of Clifton Road, as shown on the 1st edition 25" OS map of that date. By the end of the century the brewery buildings had been converted into a cheese factory. Some of the buildings have now been incorporated into the much larger Nestle factory which was first established on the site in 1912. (1)
In 1876 the brewery was run by Wilson & Cooper, brewers and maltsters, becoming Wilson, Allaway & Co. Ltd in 1891. (2)
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2001. Extensive Urban Survey: Ashbourne. Archaeological Assessment Report.. Component 32, p 21.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 17403 45906 (65m by 73m)
ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2016 2:00PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.