Monument record MDR10206 - Windmill (site of), Boughton Lane, Clowne

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Burdett's map of 1767 does not show a windmill at Clowne, but one was operational and included in Farey's list of the working windmills in the county in 1808. The miller in 1829 was William Woodhead, who was still in charge in 1857. He was succeeded shortly afterwards by his son, George, who then worked the mill until at least 1871. After 1871, until 1900, the miller was recorded as Samuel Hatfield and thereafter entries relate to a nearby steam mill. The long ownership by the Woodhead family and by Mr Hatfield probably explains why no advertisements for its sale or lettings have been found. It is shown a short distance to the west of the village on the 1836 OS map, being designated 'Clowne Mill', complete with the windmill symbol. It appears on subsequent OS maps but in 1880 had become 'Postmill - disused' and last appeared on the map for 1887. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 2003. Derbyshire Windmills Past and Present. p 50.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 48785 75527 (36m by 31m)
Civil Parish CLOWNE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 12 2017 4:29PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.