Friar Gate railway station, opened in 1878. Closed to passengers in 1964. Completely closed in 1967. All buildings above platform level are now demolished. Business premises below. (1)
Derby Friar Gate Railway Station. Only the over grown platforms of the Great Northern Railway's Derby Friar Gate station survive following closure of the line to traffic in 1968 and subsequent clearance of the station buildings and track. The Great Northern Railway Derbyshire Extension Railway from Colwick to Pinxton, Derby and Egginton Junction was a direct challenge to the Midland Railway for a share of the Erewash Valley coal traffic. For passengers, Friar Gate probably became most familiar as a starting point for excursions to the Lincolnshire coast. (2)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.1, with photo.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 43-4.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34619 36372 (104m by 101m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:22AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.