Monument record MDR10237 - Milepost, Duffield Road, Allestree, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Georgian - 1830 AD to 1830 AD)
- None recorded
Milepost on Duffield Road, near Allestree Post Office. Circular section. 'DERBY/2/MILES', 'DUFFD/2/MILES'. (1) Mile Post. Drum-headed mile post by Harrison of Derby: 'Derby 2 miles - Duffield 2 miles'. (2) This cast iron milepost stands on the west side of the former Derby to Duffield turnpike road. It was manufactured by Harrisons of Derby. (3) Comparison of the apparent position of the milepost as shown on the modern map with that shown on historic maps suggests it may have been moved c. 14m to the north. (4) Circular section cast iron milepost, dating from circa 1830, opposite Derwent Avenue. Cast by Derby firm Harrison. (5)
- <1> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 14.21, with photo.
- <2> SDR19527 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 49.
- <3> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/DER/06.
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR21254 Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 65.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35080 39867 (1m by 1m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 11:20AM